Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Elizabeth McGrath- Interview with the Glampire




Due to our own personal curiosity and, doubtless, yours as well, we excitedly present to you an interview with previously featured Los Angeles artist extraordinaire Elizabeth McGrath...

1. If you could be any sort of fabric, what would you be?
I love silk but that would mean I come from the butt of a worm!! So I choose cotton since ( like a superhero) it can take on many forms.
2. How do you know when one of your artpieces is finished?
It depends on my mood , sometimes I just can't stop! And sometimes I can't make up my mind what to do next, I usually sleep on it for a night or two and then it becomes clear!!!!
3. Do you have millions of ideas backed up, or is it a struggle to find a story each time you begin a piece?
Sometimes it's a struggle!! When i'm stuck I jump on the Internet or go to the library and research topics that might interest me. Then I go out for a week and try to see as much stuff that relates to the topics of interest as I can and then I start sketching !
4. Are you able to make a full-time living as an artist or do you work elsewhere as well?
I am super lucky to be able to say yes.
5. Do you dream about the characters in your work?
I do!!! They kind of haunt me till I make them !
6. Have you found your niche in the world, or do you feel you are still looking?
I think I will always be searching for my niche because times are always changing!
(continued below...)



7. Old or New? And why?
Both!!! I love vintage clothes and nick nacks from the 20's - the 50's but often times the fabric is weak so I try to find " new" vintage when I can i also love discovering new designers
8. Kate Bush or Dolly Parton? And why?
Dolly Parton hands down!! I love old country and she sings some tearjerkers - my claim to fame is that I painted a pair of trashy lingerie shoes for her a while back!
9. Do you take commissions, and if so, what would someone do to make it happen?
I do take comissions! One would contact my gallery http://www.billyshirefinearts.com/ but depending on my schedule it could take up to a year before I finish it
10. If the world was dying of boredom, what would be your words to inspire?
Hmm, I'm not very good with words but If I could show pictures I'd show the world a photo of itself !!! There are so many interesting things going on everywhere I think it would take 100 lifetimes to truly get bored of it
11. What is your most favourite item of clothing that you own?
A plaid dress and matching hat that my friend and designer Adele Milded made for me.
12. How do you transport your sculptural works for exhibitions?
Well it depends on where it's going it's always a real challenge transporting sculptures and mine can be up to 8 feet tall!!! But thankfully my gallery deals with most of that!
13. Anything else about anything at all you would like to waffle on about?
Um well we're on tour (with US band Miss Derringer) right now with Blondie and Debra Harry is just stunning!!! Her voice is as strong as ever!!! Also we saw Niagara Falls this morning and it was breathtaking, it erased the hangovers of the previous night's party!!
Fox says- "It leaves me jelly-legged, all that creativity..."
Pearl says- "Aaaarrrrrrrghghghghghghgh!!!! Makes me just want to run out and build something! "

1 comment:

Griffin Brooks said...

Thank you for providing such valuable information and thanks for sharing this Business Promotion technique.